Monday, April 18, 2011

Final reflection

Instruction:
“For this final post, reflect on the communication/life skills that you have developed in this module, on your interactions in class and via the blogging and on your overall learning. Again, this should be done analytically, with consideration of the 7Cs.”

About the skills
Looking back at the lesson shedule, I was amazed at how much we did in just one semester. We did peer teaching, group research, oral presentation. We learnt how to write cover  letter, resume, business proposal, transmittal letters and blog posts! We also learnt/taught skills related to interviews, surveys, wikis, and many more.
I think I learnt the most through the research project, all the group work and peer evaluation. I had the best group mates and we had a good time working together and talk nonsense/watch youtube together. I am very worried that this is going to be my last group project in NUS.

About blogs and facebook
Although I had been in Singapore for a long time and was rather comfortable with the English environment, English was always only an “acedemic” tool to me. I am not at all active on facebook. I do not own a twitter account. And I never write English blog posts nor comment on my friends’. Through this module, I gradually pick up the habit of expressing myself in English under such voluntary circumstances. I am not sure whether I will continue to blog. But I guess I will definitely be more active on facebook.

About the overall learning
I enjoyed the in-class interaction the most. Brad is a great teacher! Witty and knowledgable.
I said in my first post that “I think these are the types of lessons which I applied to the university for.” Now, I would remove the “I think”. These ARE the types of lessons which I applied to the university for. How I wish all the modules I am going to take will be this fun and meaningful.
However, that is hardly likely to happen as I am only going to take core modules in the following two years. Maybe what I will count on is my one semester in the US. Hopefully the statistics modules are taught in a more interactive way there.

The non-analytical part
I was never very much attached to any of my previous classes, even in JC and secondary school in Singapore. I see myself as an outsider and I accept that position. I wasn’t at all surprised that I am the only one who did not receive any comment at first for the first blog post.
However, at the end of the last tutorial, I felt as if we have spend three years togther in the same classroom taking all the same courses and going the graduation ceremony together.
It has been too long a time for me feel in such a way. I love the class, which includes the teacher, all the classmates, the classroom setting and all the lessons and activities. To me, this is more than just a module. So, thank you Brad, Cynthia, Luqman, Jinq Horng, Vanessa, Gregory, Ahmed, Mark, Hwee Teng, Jake, Stella, Zoe, Chuan Ting and Wellens.
Thank you everyone for making that happen.
Hope everyone of us will have a joyful and fruitful life ahead!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,

    While I'm saddened to see you write about how you are always an outsider, I'm also glad that you feel the way you do about our class! I agree with you wholeheartedly! Its like we all love one another in the class don't we? =P

    Anyway, best of luck for your exams, and your exchange too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Susan, :)

    I have to agree with you that i really <3 this class. Ever since the start of uni, i've never been so attached to any classes like this before.

    And please don't view yourself as an outsider, because how you see yourself is how you want others to see you as well. You've been to S'pore for quite a number of years, tat's a plus point and i'm pretty sure you can integrate well with the people here. No worries wrt that, but you have to take the first step by stemming out your view of being an outsider.

    cheers,
    Cyn :)

    p.s: wanna watch RIO? i heard that it's nice :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear my comment disappeared?!

    I agree with you, I think the in-class interactions are the best part of this module. I think this is the only module that I made the most friends in NUS :)

    And I think I sort of understand how you feel like an outsider, because I went through that phase before when I first came to Singapore to pursue undergraduate studies. But like what Cynthia said, I guess we have to change our mindset and stop thinking of ourselves as outsiders first.

    All the best for your final exams! hope to see you around in school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Defining what is outside or otherwise is only a perceived mindset. Fortunately, this also means that it is changeable. As long as you are willing to take the initiative to get along with the group, you woulld not stay an outsider forever.

    Glad that you realise that communication should not be limited by the language we use. To me, what really matters is not the appropriate language to fit the context, but rather the flexibility in languages that enables us to adapt well in a dynamic sphere of communication.

    All the best in your future endeavours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jake!

    Thanks for the comment. You are the only one whom I knew before this module. Yet, previous module did not seem to help us to know each other well. I think this one does!

    All the best to your remaining two years as well!

    Hi Cynthia!

    Thanks for comforting me. You are always so sweet:)

    PS.Yes I wanted to watch that. But I guess it will not be on after the exam. We can watch something else then.

    Hi Stella,

    It is just a price to pay when you go overseas to study. I agree with both of you about changing the mindset as outsider first!

    All the best!

    Hi Wellens,

    Thank you all for being so concerned about my outsider issue:)
    I agree with you that language should not be a carrier for communication. However, I believe there is an element of emotional attachment towards ones' native language. For instance, I do behave differently when I am in different language enviornment, though the difference is diminishing.

    All the best for your future endeavours too!

    regards,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Susan, for a very comprehensive and yet highly detailed post. I can also feel your passion and enthusiasm, just as I did during the class discussions. It's interesting that you would like that aspect of the course, the interactions, the best. You certainly excelled in it, offering your opinion and never hesitating to ask questions. Kudos for that!

    Thank you also for all the accolades about the course. As I usually say, ES2007S has lots of interesting topics, so in some ways, because students find it applicable to their lives, it can "teach itself."

    Still, everything depends on the people, the group and the characters involved. We had a very dynamic group of students, yourself included, and that also made for a high level of interactions.

    So in fact, it should be me thanking you. Most enjoyable indeed.

    All the best, Susan, for your future studies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heyyyyyyyyyyyy!

    I did comment on your first blog post!!! Anyway, it was a great experience working with you during peer teaching and I am sure we better understood each other during the few meetings that we had. Do continue to mingle with your course mates and etc. I believe you will reap what you sow.

    All the best!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Susan! Sorry for this late post. I think that you tried your best in writing and speaking in English. I could see how hard it is for you to write and speak in a second language. However, looking on the bright side, I think that you have improved so much in terms of language from your recent blog posts. That is what matters most, improvement. (:

    See you around, Susan, and all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Susan,

    Sorry for the late comment!

    I have to say that I did not observe your outsider feeling at all, even during the first few classes! And I'm sure we would remember this module fondly, just as you would.

    (Forgive me for writing this.) You wrote:
    "I felt as if we have spend..."
    The correct word to use here is "spent". This is the present perfect tense.

    Enjoy your time in the States, and cheers!

    ReplyDelete